Pre-Arrival – Visa Application:

Visa regulations for international students taking up studies in Germany vary from country to country. International students should determine as early as possible at a German diplomatic representation in their home country (that is, embassy or consulate) if a visa for studies in Germany is required. This will need to be done at least two months in advance of a departure for Germany. If a visa is required, an international student may not enter Germany on a tourist visa. For more information regarding visas, please visit the website of the German Federal Foreign Office.

Upon Arrival – Residence Registration:

After having arrived in Germany, you must register at the Residence Registration Office (Anmeldeamt, Bürgerbüro or Bürgeramt) of your city of residence within a period of two weeks. You will need to fill a form and to present your passport and a “Wohnungsgeberbestätigung” (confirmation of residence) from your landlord. Please keep a copy of the registration confirmation with you as this serves as proof of address (for example, this will be needed when you open a bank account). Please also note that you must repeat the step anytime you change your place of residence. The Bürgerbüro is responsible for: registration, deregistration, transfer of registration, residence permits, verification, vehicle registration permits, certificates of good conduct, and pet registration (yes, you must register your pet). Click here for a list of the offices were you can register in Frankfurt TYPO3 Webkatalog (on the right side of the site). You can use the same website to make an appointment for your registration. Check the website of the local government for the same information if you are living in a city different than Frankfurt.

Upon Arrival – Visa Registration:

Holders of an entry visa will need to convert it into a student visa at the Ausländerbehörde (Office for International Affairs). In order to do so, students must attach to their application:


The Ausländerbehörde (Immigration Office) can be found at:

Rebstöcker Straße 4
60326 Frankfurt am Main.

Students living outside of Frankfurt should register their visa in the Immigration Office responsible for their place of residence.